Thursday, July 23, 2015

White Blank Page

Change. It's the one (and only) constant in our universe. It's inevitable. It's scary. It's always looming. Sometimes it happens without us realizing that it's happening. Okay, fine. Fairly often it happens without us realizing it. It's all around us. All. The. Time. Not to freak you out or anything. It's just astonishing to think about. Our cells are shifting and changing and dying and renewing... it's a never-ending cycle. Change can be horrifying. It can be one of the hardest things we will ever experience. Why do you think newborn babies cry when they leave the comfort of the womb and are forced into the cold, blinding light of day? Because it's terrifying. But luckily, change can be one of the most beautiful, most enriching, most positive experiences you will ever have. It's an opportunity to start fresh. To try a little harder. To be a better person.

I guess you can tell that I'm nervous about moving to Orono in three short weeks. It doesn't seem possible that this summer is almost over. It seems like just yesterday I was still at UMF, nervously awaiting graduation. Alas, the summer is winding down and the start of school is looming on the horizon. Don't get me wrong--I'm so excited to have an opportunity to start fresh in a new place, make new friends, and begin my journey at UMO. It's just a little scary that it's all happening so soon.

I've done it before--starting over. I transferred from SMCC to UMF after two years of security and familiarity and now I get to take that leap of faith once again. Although, this time I've realized something. Before I left SMCC, I saw the change as an opportunity to be someone else. To forget about my past. To leave behind unhealthy habits and an incredibly unhealthy relationship. I wanted to forget the past. When I left UMF, I had a similar feeling. I wanted to forget all of the bad times I had had. But just recently I realized something. I shouldn't be spending so much time running from the negative experiences in life. I should spend so much more time focusing on what is good and right and positive in my life. I shouldn't feel as though I'm running away from the bad things that have happened--I should feel like I'm running towards something new and exciting. And when I look back, I should be able to recognize the bad and realize that all of that has passed for a reason and instead think of all of the positive things that have come to me.

I so look forward to my next adventure. I know that while there will always be good times and bad times, both of these experiences help shape us and teach us valuable lessons. Be thankful for the good times. Be thankful for the bad times. Be thankful for the plentiful love that you share with your loved ones. Be thankful for the love you've lost. Be thankful for a job that you love. Even be thankful for the shittiest job you've ever had. Just be thankful for change, good or bad. Charge forward into your life. Never ever forget where you've been and never lose sight of where you're going. Listen--we've got this.

No comments:

Post a Comment