Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Where Has the Time Gone?

It seems like just yesterday that I was writing the previous post while sitting at JFK. But I guess that was nearly two months ago, wasn't it? Damn. I'm not even sure where to start with this update. I guess I'll pick up where I left off:

I graduated college! A few short days after I returned from my whirlwind trip to Wisconsin, I walked across the stage at UMF, shook hands with President Foster, accepted my degree, and began my adult life. Of course I was an adult legally when I was 18, but while you're in college, it's not like you're a true adult. Well, I didn't feel like one anyway. For those who didn't know what I was studying, I received a Bachelor's Degree in Psychology and the Mental Health Rehabilitation Technician Certification. Now, you may ask: “What do you do with a BA in Psychology?” Well, not much. If one wishes to be a counselor or therapist, they would need to obtain a Master's degree and become a certified counselor. For me, this wasn't what spoke to me. I've been involved in student life at the college level all four years of my undergrad. I love being able to work with all types of students, make connections, facilitate growth (and be able to see growth in myself), and forge positive relationships. It is because of my passion for the field that I decided that I wanted to go into Student Affairs after graduation. Leading me to apply to UMaine's Higher Education program and also several jobs in the field. Hence the job interview in Wisconsin.

Speaking of, I didn't get the job. Needless to say, I was upset. I was told that it was a truly difficult decision and I was wished the best in my bright future. Despite the positive affirmations, I was crushed. Something I had so dearly been hoping for burst into flames and died right in front of my eyes. However, I am happy to announce that I will be attending UMaine in the Fall in the Master's of Education in Student Development in Higher Education program. I will also be working as the Graduate Outreach Assistant for the Counseling Center. In this role, I'll be supervising the Mind Spa, a relaxation zone at the university, and it's staff of undergraduate students. I will also be helping promote mental health by creating and administering programs across the university. I have been lucky enough to have also secured a second position as Resident Scholar for the UMaine chapter of Sigma Phi Epsilon. In this role, I'll be designing and leading programs for a fraternity as well as overseeing the day to day activities and well-being of the house. I am so thankful for these amazing opportunities and I can't wait to get started in the Fall.

This summer has been amazing so far and I'm sure that the rest will be wonderful as well. I've been working at Day's Store in Belgrade and to be honest, most days it doesn't even feel like work. I love the people I work with and enjoy being able to meet and talk to some really interesting customers. I am so thankful to have such an amazing job, even if it is just for the summer. I've also been able to have some fun outside of work as well. I've been able to spend some quality time with the woman of my dreams and her family, whom I love. I've been a part of a beautiful wedding in New Hampshire, seen Ingrid Michaelson for the 4th time, spent days just laying on the beach, and days just laying around the house. I am happy. Truly, genuinely happy.

Cheers.

2 comments:

  1. You are awesome! I love reading your ponderings! I am very proud of you!

    ReplyDelete