Monday, April 6, 2015

Spring Cleaning and Snow Showers

As I sit here sorting through all of the junk that I have accumulated through the years, I reflect on my experiences in life. I know that sounds incredibly cheesy and cliché, but anyone that knows me knows that that's all part of who I am. Maybe I'm just exceptionally sentimental because I know that the life I have known for the past four years... even the life I have known for the past twenty-two years is all going to change in six short weeks. Or maybe I'm just emotional because it's supposed to be springtime but it's snowing... either way, I'll share some gems that I've found so far.

1. Numerous awards - Now, these may just be pieces of paper and have no real meaning attached, it's so hard to throw them out. I have certificates from my time at SMCC and an award for Program of the Month for my classic, "BJs in your PJs" program - don't ask! I found my Cohesive Co-Ship Award that my dear friend Karla and I won at the end of last year. These are all things of the past, but of course I'll hang onto them - I couldn't possibly throw them out, although I probably should!

2. FAB placement letter - This was a HUGE moment for me, getting placed in FAB. I worked my butt off to get here and I think that living and working in such a difficult building has helped shape who I am personally and professionally.

3. Playbills - American Idiot and Lion King, to be exact. In my position as a Weekend Adventures and Excursions Leader, I have had the opportunity to travel to places I never thought I could go, done things I never thought possible, and made memories that are sure to last a lifetime.

4. This poem:
"Realize that bodies are only a fraction of who we are.
They're just oddly-shaped vessels for hearts.
And honestly, they can barely contain us.
We strain at their seams with every breath we take.
We are all pulse and sweat,
Tissue and nerve ending.
We are programmed to grope and fumble until we get it right.
Bodies have been learning each other forever.
It's what bodies do.
They are grab bags of parts,
And half the fun is figuring out
All the different ways we can fit them together;
All the different uses for hipbones and hands,
Tongues and teeth;
All the ways to car-crash our bodies beautiful.
But we could never forget how to use our hearts,
Even if we tried.
That's the important part.
Don't worry about the bodies,
They've got this."
-Gabe Moses, "How to Make Love to A Trans Person"

That's all I'll share for now... this cleaning and sorting process is sure to span for several weeks (I feel like I'm cleaning a hoarders house, only it's my own very small apartment.) I may soon be posting things that are up for grabs, so keep an eye out for some (possibly) useless junk! Woohoo!

Cheers,
-S

No comments:

Post a Comment